Are you ready to celebrate the Derby season in 2023? Louisville is known for its impressive festivities, and this year promises to be no different. From historical tours to raucous parties, there’s something for everyone at these can’t-miss events. Whether you’re visiting or a lifelong resident of the area, we’ve rounded up the very best ways for you and your family to experience Derby season like never before!
- Join the Down Syndrome of Louisville charity event and dance the night away while indulging in dinner and participating in a live and silent auction at the Gallop Gala on Friday, April 21st, from 6 to 10 p.m. at The Galt House. Tickets are priced at $100-$350.
- Fest-a-Ville presented by Kroger is the central location for the majority of pre-Derby festivities, including concerts, carnival rides, and special events. Join the fun from Thursday, April 27th to Friday, May 5th, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily, excluding Sundays from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. Admission is free with the Pegasus Pin at Waterfront Park.
- Catch the colorful hot air balloons during the Great BalloonFest, featuring three different activities: the Rush Hour Race, the Great Balloon Glow, and the Great Balloon Race, from Friday, April 28th to Saturday, April 29th. Multiple times and locations are available.
- Cheer on 46,000 rubber ducks racing along the Ohio River to support Harbor House of Louisville at the Ken-Ducky Derby on Saturday, April 29th at 4 p.m. at Waterfront Park. Admission is free by displaying the Pegasus Pin.
- Don’t miss the Great Steamboat Race, a two-hour battle of the boats between the Belle of Louisville and the Belle of Cincinnati, on Wednesday, May 3rd at 6 p.m. The event is free to attend and held at the Riverfront.
- Experience Kentucky’s best bourbons at the Kentucky Derby Festival BourbonVille on Thursday, April 13th from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Frazier History Museum. Enjoy bourbon-inspired eats and drinks with commemorative glasses. Ticket prices range from $55-$90.
- Join the Taste of Derby Festival on Tuesday, April 25th from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Louisville Slugger Field. Featuring over 60 local restaurants, distilleries, and beverage companies, this annual event is not to be missed. Tickets are priced at $90 per person
Happy Derby! We hope you are able to join one of these fun festivities!